Marston Marine Care - How NOT to paint your boat

I decided to professionally paint my 40 year old Devon Yawl(value £3000) this season.Found Richard Marston who quoted £720 for a job.

He promised she would be ready in a week. I finally rescued her 5 weeks later and £1700 total bill with poor paint work which I could have done myself. Advice to anyone who is thinking about boat painting: 1. Never hire Richard Marston.

The man is not a professional as he calls himself on his website 2. Never agree to bring your boat to his place! She will be a hostage there until Richard Marston squeeze all money he REALLY meant to charge you for 3. Make an agreement in WRITING with price and conditions, so it can't be changed or amended 4.

Buy all materials yourself. Otherwise you will pay Richard Marston double-triple price even though he will promise "trade discounted materials". No invoices would be given. Do not even dare to ask for invoices!

This would make him very angry 5. Even if you see that he did a bad job, don't criticize him. Richard Marston has no idea about customer service or even about right to ask about reasonable job for the money you giving.

Just take it and sail away as fast as you could.Otherwise a depression awaits you.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 1 Yes 1 2 No 2
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Aug 29, 2013 #708463

I have to totally disagree with his comments Richard had carried out many jobs for me and other boat owners including painting my wooden boat and I have employed him to regularly maintain my classic 31 foot wooden boat, I have found him to be professional, good quality work and charges me for the costs of materials and whatever cost he is charged and does not make a profit . He will show me or provide me with invoices and he has always charged a hourly rate and will give me idea of how much the work will cost , he is very popular at the yard and has may happy boat owners in the yard who are happy to re-employ him and have done so. These comments are totally unfair and indeed I did see the bright red finish of this day boat as he was working on it at the same time as doing some work for me as I remember Mr Lale the finish was perfect. I have informed Richard of this review and I am sure he will respond according if any customers would like to look at my boat and any other owners contact me and I would be more than happy to show you the high quality work he has done on my baot :grin

0 0 Reply

Nov 26, 2013 #748214 London, England

Richard Marston is an extreme perfectionist, honest, loyal and professional. He has had many happy customers.
What a childish manner to behave,one would assume an adult could deal with this in a grown up matter, ie talk to the person??

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Marston Marine Care. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Marston Marine Care.
Filing a new complaint about